I stumbled upon a wonderful blog challenge – SanDee & amelie’s Steampunk Challenges. I have long been an admirer of Steampunk, but I’ve never attempted to create anything. It is one of those things that I recognize when I see it – but to create it, out of thin air, was a real struggle for me. Here is my first attempt. The paper is 7 Gypsies. All the die cuts used in all these pieces are by Sizzix. The heart was from Michael’s, and the bottle top was from Fat Tire.
The Queen came easier, because I knew exactly what I wanted to do, but turning it Steampunk was once again, a challenge. Thankfully I have been hoarding watch pieces for just such an occasion.
The Jack was the most difficult. I ran across some copper flashing at a home improvement store, and knew I had to use it here. The embossing card was also by Sizzix. The bugs are by Momenta. The gears are Tim Holtz, sort of. I made a mold of them and used hot glue to make them less perfect. The patina is Ranger Distress Paint. The red flowers are bead caps (I think by Michael’s) hammered flat and painted with Lumiere paint and sanded.
Thanks for stopping by!