Steampunk Altered Playing Cards

I stumbled upon a wonderful blog challenge – SanDee & amelie’s Steampunk Challenges.  I have long been an admirer of Steampunk, but I’ve never attempted to create anything.  It is one of those things that I recognize when I see it – but to create it, out of thin air, was a real struggle for me.  Here is my first attempt.  The paper is 7 Gypsies.  All the die cuts used in all these pieces are by Sizzix.  The heart was from Michael’s, and the bottle top was from Fat Tire.

DSC_0003

DSC_0027

The Queen came easier, because I knew exactly what I wanted to do, but turning it Steampunk was once again, a challenge.  Thankfully I have been hoarding watch pieces for just such an occasion.

DSC_0053 DSC_0060

The Jack was the most difficult.  I ran across some copper flashing at a home improvement store, and knew I had to use it here.  The embossing card was also by Sizzix.  The bugs are by Momenta.  The gears are Tim Holtz, sort of.  I made a mold of them and used hot glue to make them less perfect.  The patina is Ranger Distress Paint.  The red flowers are bead caps (I think by Michael’s) hammered flat and painted with Lumiere paint and sanded.

DSC_0014

DSC_0065 DSC_0069

Thanks for stopping by!

About Sam

A lover of crafts and art trapped in the mind of an accountant. My dream is to someday be set free of the cubicle prison. Meanwhile, I craft and I create to set my mind free.
This entry was posted in Altered Art, ATCs, Cards, Collage, emboss, Steampunk. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Steampunk Altered Playing Cards

1. die amelie says:

Your first Steampunk pieces ever? Who would have thought that! They are beautiful! Love all three of them with all the awesome stuff on them. Great idea with the wings!!!
    Thank you very much for stopping by and playing along with us at SanDee&amelie’s Steampunk challenges!

die amelie x

2. Sue says:

WOW these are amazing, I love the way you have altered these. The copper flashing is wonderful! xx

3. Monique says:

Those are lovely cards. I most love the lady birds card, they look so sweet all steampunked and all =)

4. Carmen says:

I am enchanted by the beautiful composition of additives.

5. die amelie says:

Still totally in love with your corrugated card wings!!!
    Thank you (this time) for playing along with us at FunwithATCs!

Claudia – die amelie x

6. Faye says:

Such fantastic detail work on the playing cards. So very creative. Wish I had a mind like that.

7. Siwka says:

wow, your imagination is awesome

8. Suzanne says:

Great work! I love them, especially the little steampunk bug. Great texture, too. Thanks for playing along with us at Fun with ATCs. Suzanne

9. Maura says:

Congratulations!! What a fun take on the cards.