The August Tim Holtz Tag is about masking. I have to admit I groaned a bit when I first saw it. “A bit on the tedious side”, I told myself. I just don’t have the patience to fussy-cut anymore. But once I got into it, I just couldn’t stop! Besides the stains used for the background, I don’t own any of the products used to create the tags, so I improvised.
I have a lovely set of stamps called Butterfly Garden by Pink Paislee that I stamped onto a plain acetate sheet with Stazon ink and then cut out. See Tim’s blog for better instructions. Because I was stamping on plain acetate (with no sticky side), I stuck the acetate masks down with some reposition-able tape. The background was done with a couple of different green Distress Stains.
I finally decided to take the plunge and bought a set of Distress Markers, so I have dabbled in coloring the flowers with them. So far my favorite strata to use them on is the Mixed Media artist paper. I only have some 90 pound Strathmore on hand, so that is what I’m using here (but of course, as with all my tags now, I will mount this to a piece of chipboard for strength). I plan to try the pens on some hot press watercolor paper as Tim recommends as soon as I can get my hands on some. So far I can’t find any in my local arts and crafts stores. I’m pretty pleased in general with how they are taking to this paper though. I look forward to using them a lot more in the future!
I used a fine tipped watercolor brush and the Antique Bronze stain to color in the bird cage.
The ball chain was something I found in the garage years ago, I didn’t clean it because it has that lovely tarnished look. I glued it down with Matt Accents, which Ranger discontinued. I really think we need to rise up and change their minds about that decision! I’ll have to give some thought on how to organize that.
As always – thanks so much for stopping by!