My Mini Memory Jar

I’ve been looking at memory jugs on Pintrest for some time now and I’ve finally decided to make a mini one using an old Rolaids jar as a base. DSC_0001

It all started with the prompt by Eclectic Paperie July challenge:  Altered Bottles.  DSC_0002

Someone gave me the old Rolaids jar full of buttons and I decided it was the perfect shape, so I emptied and washed it. DSC_0003

DSC_0006I then added a coat of Modeling Paste just as if I was frosting a cake and imbedded my collected bits and pieces.  After leaving it to dry overnight, I covered everything with a coat of gesso, followed by a coat of copper paint.  After drying the fist layer I then added a layer of Burnt Sepia and wiped it from all the high points so that it would just give definition to the shapes.  DSC_0010The last layer was a watered down coat of turquoise paint.  DSC_0009

I wanted it to seep deep into the cracks to give it that copper patina look.  DSC_0007

This was fun to make, I might just have to make a full sized one someday.  Thanks for stopping by!

About Sam

A lover of crafts and art trapped in the mind of an accountant. My dream is to someday be set free of the cubicle prison. Meanwhile, I craft and I create to set my mind free.
This entry was posted in Altered Art, Arylic Paint and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to My Mini Memory Jar

1. toni says:

Amazing altered jar !!! I love the way you have embedded all those little treasures into the surface and the coppery verdigris effect is gorgeous ! Fantastic work! Many thanks for joining us for the e play challenge . Toni x

2. Micki says:

Wow – this is absolutely gorgeous. And a Rolaids jar – beautiful altered bottle. Thanks so much for playing along with us in this months’ ePlay challenge. xoxo

3. Julia Aston says:

What a marvelous creation! I just love all the little pieces and shapes you’ve got on your beautiful Memory Jar! the colors are wonderful – what a lovely keepsake! thank you so much for sharing it with the ePlay Altered Bottle challenge!!

4. Sue Lelli says:

Without a doubt, this is just the most AMAZING altered bottle! I am so GLAD you decided to share this with us at the eclectic Paperie ePLay Altered bottle challenge!

5. Sue C says:

Fantastic alltered jar ! I love all the little pieces you’ve added and the crown on the top is perfection! Thanks for joining us at eclectic Paperie. Sue C x

6. Mary-Ann says:

Wow, I’m trying to pick my jaw up off the floor to type this! It is truly a masterpiece. Great detail!

7. Lucy Edmondson says:

This is amazing, what a fabulous technique!

Lucy x

8. suman says:

This is truly beautiful, loved the copper and turquoise patina finish !!